Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I am at the end of my rope with Jacob I am not sure if this is an autism thing, ADHD thing, or just because hes a *bad* kid. But his behaviors have become VERY severe and VERY bad! I am no sure what to do with him and his behaviors anymore. We cant punish him because he just doesnt care. I try taking toys away and that doesnt bother him. He doesnt play with toys or anything else so taking something away doesnt work. When he is in time out he will come right back out...ive tried everything to make time out work and it doesnt work. Ive tried yelling and spaking and he just laughed at me. Ive tried the loving approach and that didnt work either, it just made him do more. We have him on meds for ADHD and ever since we put him on those its like these behaviors have become way worse.

Its 7 am and ill tell you what he has already done in the hour we have been awake. He took a blanket and tried to choke his brother, he was throwing a shoe at the wall and every time I told him to stop he would keep doing it, he turned on the water outside and threw his brother in it, he got markers and colored himself and his shirt. I am not sure what to do anymore and I hate feeling like he has defeted me. Like I am nothing to him because he just wont listen to me...or his dad.

2 comments:

Melissa De Mers said...

Hey Brit - have you talked to his pedi about this behavior? It doesn't sound normal and it's probably a side effect from his medication.

Do you belong to any autism/ADHD groups online? I bet someone else has gone through what you are currently enduring...I would see if anyone out "there" could give advice on the matter as well.

Wish I could help ya! I can be here for you though, as I am. :) I hope you can figure it out for your own sanity. ;)

Take care ~ Mel

Shelly said...

You know what, brit, he sounds like my kids. He may just be going through some changes with the meds and im sure he can feel your stress and they THRIVE off of that. Just have patience and be consistent. The lord wouldnt have sent Jake to you unless he knew you could handle him. I know you can do it. Im sure things will calm soon. Just pray and fast and you will know what to do. Im sorry things are so hard right now-Tyson misses his best friend Jake!!!